I was born in the marvellous city of Wuerzburg am Main (Germany). After finishing secondary school in 1991, I studied chemistry
from 1992 to 1998 at the University of Wuerzburg.
Within the Erasmus-Exchange programme I worked on a research project in the group of Prof. Dr. D. A. Brown at University College Dublin
I did my Master project in the group of Prof. Dr. W. Malisch on the synthesis of functionalized primary and secondary complex-bound phosphanes. There are two publications from the results of this work:
- W. Malisch, F.-J. Rehmann, H. Jehle, J. Reising J. Organomet. Chem. 1998, 570, 107.
- W. Malisch, K. Thirase, F.-J. Rehmann, J. Reising, N. Gunzelmann Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 1998, 1589.
For my PhD project I relocated to the Laboratorium fur Anorganische Chemie at ETH Zurich in the group of Prof. Dr. W. H. Koppenol under supervision by Dr. S. Herold. There I studied the mechanisms of the nitrogen monoxide- and nitrite-mediated reduction of ferrylmyoglobin and ferrylhemoglobin.
My thesis can be downloaded from ETH's e-collection (7.0 MB):
My Doctoral Thesis (PDF)
From this project two extensive papers were published:
- S. Herold, F.-J. K. Rehmann J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 2001, 6, 543.
- S. Herold, F.-J. K. Rehmann Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2003, 34, 531.
From November 2002 until October 2004 I returned to University College Dublin to work as a postdoctoral fellow in the group of Dr. Matthias Tacke on the synthesis and pharmacological testing of potential new anti-cancer drugs.
There are ten papers from this research project:
- M. Tacke, L. T. Allen, L. Cuffe, W. M. Gallagher, Y. Lou, O. Mendoza, H. Muller-Bunz, F.-J. K. Rehmann, N. Sweeney J. Organomet. Chem. 2004, 689, 2242.
- M. Tacke, L. Cuffe, W. M. Gallagher, Y. Lou, O. Mendoza, H. Muller-Bunz, F.-J. K. Rehmann, N. Sweeney J. Inorg. Biochem. 2004, 98, 1987.
- O. Mendoza, F.-J. K. Rehmann, L. P. Cuffe, M. Tacke Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2004, 4525.
- F.-J. K. Rehmann, L. P. Cuffe, O. Mendoza, D. K. Rai, N. Sweeney, K. Strohfeldt, W. M. Gallagher, M. Tacke Appl. Organomet. Chem. 2005, 19, 293.
- O. Mendoza, L. P. Cuffe, F.-J. K. Rehmann, M. Tacke J. Organomet. Chem. 2005, 690, 1511.
- F.-J. K. Rehmann, A. J. Rous, O. Mendoza, N. J. Sweeney, K. Strohfeldt, W. M. Gallagher, M. Tacke Polyhedron 2005, 24, 1250.
- N. J. Sweeney, O. Mendoza, H. Muller-Bunz, Clara Pampillon, F.-J. K. Rehmann, K. Strohfeldt, M. Tacke J. Organomet. Chem. 2005, 690, 4537.
- O. Oberschmidt, A.-R. Hanauske, F.-J. K. Rehmann, K. Strohfeldt, N. Sweeney, M. Tacke Anti-Cancer Drugs 2005, 16, 1071.
- M. C. Valadares, A. L. Ramos, F.-J. K. Rehmann, N. Sweeney, K. Strohfeldt, M. Tacke, M. L. S. Queiroz Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2006, 534, 264.
- K. O'Connor, C. Gill, M. Tacke, F.-J. K. Rehmann, K. Strohfeldt, N. Sweeney, J. M. Fitzpatrick, R. G. W. Watson Apoptosis 2006, 11, 1205.
From October 2004 until April 2006 I was working at the Irish National Food Centre (now: Ashtown Food Resesarch Centre), first on a project to estimate the occurrence of mycotoxins in cereal and dairy products. Further information on mycotoxins are available on the following link: www.mycotoxins.info.
Then I was the co-ordinator of the National Food Residue Database nfrd.teagasc.ie (now archived, link to web.archive.org).
From May 2006 until September 2008, I worked with Elan, a pharmaceutical company in Athlone, the heart of Ireland.
After more than ten years abroad, I lived back in Germany between October 2008 and early February 2014, to work with a pharmaceutical company in Southern Thuringia on the development of DPI (Dry Powder Inhaler) generics.
Since February 2014 I am now living in Göteborg, in Southern Sweden, continuing to work in the area of inhalation product development.
A short introduction into the World of Inhalation Products, a PDF presentation.
Interesting Link about historic inhalers: www.inhalatorium.com by Mark Sanders.